1. All of the following are examples of real security and privacy risks EXCEPT:
D. identity theft
2. A process known as ____________ is used by large retailers to study trends.
A. data mining
B. data selection
D. data conversion
3. ____________terminals (formerly known as cash registers) are often connected to complex inventory and sales computer systems.
B. Point-of-sale (POS)
4. A(n) ____________ system is a small, wireless handheld computer that scans an itemâ€™s tag and pulls up the current price (and any special offers) as you shop.
D. data mining
5. The ability to recover and read deleted or damaged files from a criminal acts computer is an example of a law enforcement specialty called:
C. computer forensics
6. Which of the following is NOT one of the four major data processing functions of a computer?
A. gathering data
B. processing data into information
C. analyzing the data or information
D. storing the data or information
7. ____________ tags, when placed on an animal, can be used to record and track in a database all of the animalâ€™s movements.
8. Surgeons can perform delicate operations by manipulating devices through computers instead of manually. This technology is known as:
B. computer forensics
9. Technology no longer protected by copyright, available to everyone, is considered to be:
D. in the public domain
10. ____________ is the study of molecules and structures whose size ranges from 1 to 100 nanometers.
A. Nano science
C. Computer forensics
D. Artificial intelligence
11. ____________ is the science that attempts to produce machines that display the same type of intelligence that humans do.
A. Nano science
D. Artificial intelligence (AI)
12. ____________ is data that has been organized or presented in a meaningful fashion.
A. A process
13. The name for the way that computers manipulate data into information is called:
14. Computers gather data, which means that they allow users to ____________ data.
15. After a picture has been taken with a digital camera and processed appropriately, the actual print of the picture is considered:
D. the process
16. Computers use the ____________ language to process data.
17. Computers process data into information by working exclusively with:
18. In the binary language each letter of the alphabet, each number and each special character is made up of a unique combination of:
A. eight bytes
B. eight kilobytes
C. Eight characters
D. eight bits
19. The term bit is short for:
B. binary language
C. binary digit
D. binary number
20. A string of eight 0s and 1s is called a:
21. A ____________ is approximately one billion bytes.
22. A ____________ is approximately a million bytes.
23. ____________ is any part of the computer that you can physically touch.
B. A device
C. A peripheral
D. An application
24. The components that process data are located in the:
A. input devices
B. output devices
C. system unit
D. storage component
25. All of the following are examples of input devices EXCEPT a: