Thursday, December 11, 2014

Chemical Engineering in the 21st Century

Are you a chemical engineer? or perhaps a chemical engineering student?
Chemical Engineering is a universal engineering discipline
compared to electrical, mechanical, civil, mechatronic, robotic engineering. When I studied
my first degree 18 years ago, I do not know that much about chemical
engineering related work and discipline. Most of
my friends also were
not sure what this field is all about. Interestingly, that time, and
probably still this time, students decided to choose chemical
engineering because they love chemistry. Well, that is sadly not the
case because this type of engineering is not merely about chemistry. In
fact, there are more physics and mathematics involve with chemical
engineering. I learn this fact not only from my own experience, but also
when I asked new first year students who enrolled in my faculty. More
than 75% admitted they choose this field mainly because of they loved
chemistry!!! What a pity. As a result, we have to adjust their thinking
and make them believe that they can excel in this course. They are also
some chemistry that they can learn and enjoy.
Now, in the new
borderless era, students and people new to chemical engineering can
learn this discipline far better than those few years ago. With internet
dominating the world, we have websites, blogs, Facebook, twitter,
LinkedIn and others to explain and elaborate about it. All information
is just seconds away from us. This, I can say is a new version or
strategy of learning the so call online chemical engineering. With such
tools, information and discussion related to this subject is easily and
swiftly discussed, exposed and distributed. More and more lecturers are
using web 2.0 in e-learning as a medium to enhance and stimulate
chemical engineering teaching among the students. Perhaps not all
universities has employed online education but my university has started
adopting online engineering education few years ago.
An engineer in action on an offshore rig (image source)


A group of engineers visiting a boiler manufacturing plant (source). Can you identify me?


I have
earlier created this blog related to my work in 2006 when I was working as a
process engineer in an edible oil refinery. That time, I created my
blog mainly because I have no medium to write and share my adventures
experiences. I love writing and I have always been an editor of any
newsletter or magazine in wherever I studied. That is the reason, when I
discovered about blog, I immediately use it as a way to share my
previous and present engineering experiences for the sake of young
engineers and students. I never expected to receive numerous
questions,
feed backs and comments from engineering students and practicing
engineers from all over the world. They can easily and comfortably ask
question to real engineers like me. They can read stories and chemical
engineers experiences. It is really a new way of learning this course or
subject. Then, in 2008, I started Chemical Engineering Rocks Facebook Group and in 2011 Facebook Chemical Engineering World Page. Both platforms received phenomenal response and I am so glad. I strongly believe, online chemical engineering will be a
major part of engineering
learning curve. Early education can be
catalyzed with web 2.0 and whether you believe it or not, you can not
stop it. Do you think so?




For further technical knowledge, I have prepared a note in my Chemical Engineering World Page, that is a compilation of top 7 free resources (that you can register). 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Designed ByBlogger Templates